Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Coming Attraction: Noir G de Guerlain Mascara

WWD broke the news last week that Guerlain will launch a new and very snazzy mascara in January. Noir G de Guerlain takes its design cue from Rouge G de Guerlain lipsticks and its formula from a proprietary new technology.

Like Rouge G de Guerlain, the new mascara is packaged in a compact with a pop-up mirror. Noir G’s packaging was designed by Lorenz Bäumer in an elegant black. Bäumer explained they designed the mascara’s packaging, made of Zamac with black lacquer, to reflect the color of the product. It does add drama to the overall look.

It was reported that Noir G and Rouge G are both are refillable. Does that mean Rogue G refills will be available next year? I sure hope so. I love the lipstick, but don't need the weight of the compact. With the mascara, the liquid formula and brush are changeable together. Bäumer called the steps to change out the two “excessively simple.”

“There are two products for which you absolutely need a mirror: lipstick and mascara,” said Olivier Echaudemaison, Global Creative Director for Guerlain. “We have now solved both.”

The formula, noted Echaudemaison, is unique. A blend of waxes coat the lashes to extend and add volume, and they are set in position by film-forming polymers. The blend of waxes allows the formula to be supple during application and then firm up to set the lashes. A proprietary polymer is added in the water portion of the formula, and when the mascara dries and the water evaporates, the particles of this polymer create a protective and setting film.

Proprietary, new-generation "Ultra Black" pigments were designed to amplify the intensity and depth of the black. The formula will lengthen and curl lashes, but it also promises lash regeneration, using artemia salina, a cell revitalizer that stimulates the production of keratin.

The brush, noted Linda Maiocco, Senior Vice President of Marketing and Public Relations for Guerlain in the U.S., was inspired by hairstyling tools. It's round, easily maneuverable, and made of flexible fibers to catch and style the lashes, she told WWD.

The mascara is scented with notes of peach, rose, jasmine, and white musk. That's where it gets really interesting to me! A mascara with notes that sound divine? I can't wait to see and smell it.

The mascara will be available initially only in black. “Mascaras in colors like purple and blue are an accessory,” said Echaudemaison. He pointed out that black is universally wearable.

The mascara and compact together will retail for $49. Refills will be $26. In the U.S., Noir G de Guerlain will debut December 26 at Saks Fifth Avenue and roll out in early January to about 150 department and specialty stores, including Nordstrom, Neiman Marcus, Bloomingdale’s, Sephora, and Bergdorf Goodman.

Photo and information courtesy of WWD

10 comments:

Victoria said...

This sounds interesting and the packaging looks lovely. I'm intrigued about the idea of a refillable mascara too.
I'm not too sure about scenting mascara though, I prefer not to have fragrances by my eyes although I agree that the notes do sound very pleasant.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Victoria!

I am also not sure about the scent, but they selected notes I love, so I'm more than intrigued. Absolutely dying to see it NOW.

Eileen said...

It seems like everyone has been clamoring for Rouge G refills for years. Hopefully, they'll soon be available. I know the case was originally intended to be a luxury status symbol, but sheesh! I go to a lot of concerts, plays, and other evening events and can guarantee you that when I'm in the ladies room, everyone is busy scoping out each others' jewelry; not lipstick cases! LOL

I love Rouge G so refills from Guerlain is good news, indeed :-)

Leigh said...

I'm thrilled to hear that both Gs will be refillable. I had been holding off on buying a Rouge G for that reason.

Like others here, I'm a bit nonplussed by the idea of scented mascara, but the whole package sounds so luxurious I'm going to have to check it out.

Thanks for sharing all of these details, Charlestongirl.

Paula D. said...

I am very excited about the new packaging and the refillability of YSL's G series.
Dior mascara has always been scented with rose water and it never bothered my eyes. When the scent fades is how I know it's time to replace it.
Paula

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Eileen,

I have wanted refills since the lipsticks were introduced. As long as I can cap them, I'll be happy. The whole case is just too heavy for me. :)

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Leigh,

Yes, scented mascara sounds strange, but in Guerlain's hands, it could be really wonderful!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi there, Paula,

What a great hint it's time to get a new one! Like a scent meter. :)

bisbee said...

I'm very interested in this new mascara - love the Rouge G lipsticks - especially the "limited edition" colors with the black case - I even bought a backup, which wouldn't have been necessary if refills were available!

Looking forward to this!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Bisbee,

I think we are all excited about refills! I have asked about them from the get-go. Fortunately, Guerlain "got it." Whether it was in the plan originally is not important to me - just that we will finally get them. Yea!