Saturday, October 1, 2011

First Look: Chanel Lumière Sculptée de Chanel Highlighting Powder for Holiday 2011

The iconic colors of Chanel - gold, red, beige, and black - are a never-ending source of inspiration for Peter Philips, Creative Director of Chanel Makeup. The glamorous proof, his holiday collection, Les Scintillances de Chanel, is a study of golden reflections that delicately sculpt the face with light, while eyes and lips shimmer in festive tones.

A true visionary, Mademoiselle Chanel found inspiration everywhere. Today, the Paris Makeup Studio does the same, capturing the beauty of Mademoiselle's treasured belt buckle in the limited-edition Lumière Sculptée de Chanel Highlighting Powder ($72), an illuminating powder that gently highlights the skin with a sheer blend of tender pink and pearlescence. Shades of ivory and pink dusted with tone-on-tone mother of pearls make this palette the ultimate in glamour.

It arrived at Neiman Marcus, where I quickly snatched up mine. I've been waiting for this palette for months - ever since I saw its portrait in the season's marketing materials at the Chanel counter. Now, I'm delighted to own it. It's so dazzling, it will be perfect for holiday festivities. What impressed me the most - after the fabulous pattern in the powder - is the highlighter's finish, which I'll be able to use during the day to light up my face and enliven my features.

I was forced to take these "first look" photos indoors. It's raining and gloomy outside, so I found my brightest window and snapped away, hoping to get a few usable photos. For my swatch photos, I applied the powder with a sponge-tipped applicator.

The camera detected the very light pink in the color, something that wasn't readily apparent to my eye at first glance. When I opened the Lumière Sculptée de Chanel palette the first time, I saw a subtly sparkling golden beige. Once I swatched, the slight pink hue described in Chanel's training materials manifested itself. It's definitely a tender pink - more of a pink cast than a full-on pink shade.

Despite the fact that I would blur the perfection of the belt-buckle design as soon as I swiped the powder, I couldn't resist. I wanted to get enough pigment to show you the shade on my skin. What I discovered was a finely milled, creamy powder that delightfully clings to my skin, not the surroundings. It applied easily and gave me an instant glow.

It's not overly shimmery. If anything, I'd say it glows or shines, but without micro-sparkles on my skin - even though the powder itself appears to be subtly sparkly. Perhaps if I had taken photos outdoors in full sun, the highlighter might have shown more shimmer. I'm glad it didn't! I have enough shimmering shades that leave micro-glitter on my face, which then strays from my cheeks or falls to my clothing on occasion. This one's gorgeously "grown up."

Lumière Sculptée de Chanel was worth the wait. I'm sure your favorite Chanel counter and Chanel boutique, along with the Chanel Web site, will offer it soon. I'm also fairly sure it will be scarce, so I'd avoid procrastination if you want it. Many others have been circling Chanel counters looking for it.

If you don't have a source for Chanel nearby, give Kathy Shoreman a call at (571) 212-8399 at Neiman Marcus or Loyd Cassler at (240) 497-5301 at Saks Fifth Avenue. They'd love to help you with this and the rest of the exquisite holiday collection, which I'll be showing you over the coming days. I even purchased a nail polish, which should tell you it's a gem.

Photo at top courtesy of Chanel; other photos by Best Things in Beauty

24 comments:

Nikkia (Silver Lips) said...

Wow, the pattern on this highlighter makes it almost to pretty to use. I swear I get in so much trouble reading your reviews. I have a mile long list of Chanel and other high-end products I want to try because of your review ans photos lol

Charlestongirl said...

You are so funny, Nikkia! You know a blogger NEEDS this. :)

wendy said...

hi charlestongirl!!! i'm sooo picky about makeup. the only thing that concerns me about this highlighter is that it says it's made in italy. why?? i feel it should say made in france. i don't know...i just am dissappointed when you pay that much money...i live in cincinnati and when i traveled to california, i went to a chanel boutique. most of the purses read made in italy. the sales associate said that's because of the "big masses". it makes me wonder though...when i went to dior, right across, everything said made in france. what do you think??? p.s. i just love your website...you are the first to post this!! thankyou!!

Anonymous said...

How does this compare to poudre douce in almond?

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Wendy,

I'm not sure why it matters. Both countries are known for making luxury goods. I sure don't care! I would care if it said made in China. :)

Thanks for the compliment!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Anon,

Poudre Douce is designed as a luminous pressed powder. Since I don't own Almond, I can't tell you how the shades compare. I would guess that this highlighter is much lighter - just a guess.

Eileen said...

Hi Wendy,

Lately some of Chanel's products have been made in Italy. It in no way cheapens the product or results in an inferior product in any way. Chanel's summer hit, Soleil Tan de Chanel was made in Italy and anyone who purchased it can tell you it was silky smooth, beautifully pigmented, had a glowing finish, and wore like a dream. It's not uncommon for cosmetics to be manufactured in other countries: most lip pencils are made in Germany, most brushes are made in China, etc. Italy happens to have an excellent reputation for it's powders. The products are available at all different price points and are made to the cosmetic brand's exact specifications and standards. As long as Chanel conceptualized and designed the product, has determined the quality, and is willing to stake their reputation on it, I don't think it really matters where it was actually manufactured. We live in a world with a global economy and cosmetic manufacturing is just falling in line with it.

Hi Charlestongirl,

What a great way to start off the holiday collections! All over soft glow--sounds perfect. And I'm pleased there is just a hint of pink in it which makes it more "flesh tone" and versatile than it would be if it were just a light golden beige. It sounds like this will look lovely on fair to medium beauties with pink or yellow undertones. My Chanel ladies have promised to alert me as soon as it comes in, and now that I've read your review, I'm really eager to get my hands on it :-)

By the way, I hope that you and Charlie are both doing well and feeling rested today. Just relax and take good care of yourself. I know, I know . . . easier said than done!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Eileen!

We are taking it easy. To Charlie, it comes naturally. To me? Not so! I wanted to go out and shop, but it was raining, cold, and windy, so I stayed in. I'm glad, actually. I may go curl up with Sir Charles soon. Under a blanket. Ignoring the world outside for awhile. As I write, a developer is cutting down a forest nearby. It makes me feel sick with each e-mail I get.

I do need to return the Missoni to Target - the two items that DID show up. The dress is nice, but too long, with no good way to shorten it. The dark green sweater is so thin, I can see right through it. It's a no-go for me!

The color of the new Chanel highlighter is fascinating. Even though I didn't see the pink at first glance, as you said, it gives the shade a "wearability" that's especially nice. I think you'll love it.

Rosa said...

As far as the powder being MADE IN ITALIA BELLA!! I agree with Eileen and am sure that the quality is excellent. Powders that are made in Italy are very finely milled and are some of, if not the best in the world!!

pinkribbons said...

I too will be circulating the Chanel counter like a shark to get my hands on this. Please show the rest of the holiday collection soon, I need to prepare my wallet (and brain)!

Charlestongirl said...

Thanks, Rosa! I think most of us can agree that the two countries sharing a border can do it all. :)

Charlestongirl said...

Pinkribbons, I didn't purchase the lip colors (yet), just the loose powder, compact, and nail color. I hope the sun will come out tomorrow. If so, I'll show the rest.

LoveSugarBabyDoll said...

sigh- this holiday collection so speaks to me. a few years back- i picked up Chanel's gold eyeshadow to wear with a deep plum/berry lip. i can't wait to see this version. the highlighter is lovely. i would like to see it side by side with the pearl glow powder.

Eleonore said...

This highlighter is so beautiful! I don't think I would ever dare to touch it as the sculpted pattern is so marvellous! I haven't seen it yet (too early in France) but I believe you and your photos, Charlestongirl!

Just a line to Wendy: you don't need to worry about Chanel products being made in Italy, this must be an agreement inside the European Community; French people never worry when they see it's made in Italy: Italy is synonymous with beauty, real savoir-faire and luxury and I can assure you it is as safe as made in France (I will worry when it reads "made in China" but that won't be Chanel any longer:-)

Charlestongirl said...

LSBD, if the sun ever comes out again, I can show that! I'm close to praying for sun.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Eleonore! Thanks for the county of origin help!

Believe me, you would use it. Curiosity would get you. :)

Elizabeth said...

Wow, that's exquisite. Do you think it's subtle enough to be used as a finishing powder or should be used as strictly a highlighter?

Charlestongirl said...

Definitely, Elizabeth! Pick it up with a fluffy brush, and it will be a delightful finish.

Anonymous said...

How does it compare to Chanels Ombres Tissées Iridescent Effects Eyes in Beiges?

Charisse said...

Oh gawd Chanel and Guerlain's holiday offerings are going to make me broke! So beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Hi there,

I can't find the weight or ingredients on this product anywhere.... Can you tell us the weight in oz/g, and if the product contains any parabens?

Thank you!!!

Charlestongirl said...

I can post around lunchtime. Have to run off for a few.

Anonymous said...

Hi, thanks for your lovely post regarding the Highlight Powders for Holiday 2011. I originally wanted to grab Guerlain's Parure de Nuit, but now that you have featured Chanel's Lumiere Sculptee de Chanel, I am having 2nd thoughts. I only want one and I have medium skin (NC30ish), which of the two would you recommend?

Charlestongirl said...

Anonymous, I'm sorry. I really can't pick out makeup for others. I don't know MAC foundation colors from house shades - has never been "my thing."

Go with your heart and choose the one that sings to you!