Wednesday, October 26, 2011

New: Laura Mercier Face Illuminator

The moment I saw Laura Mercier's new, limited-edition Face Illuminator ($42), I knew it would be mine. The roses, the appearance of the compact, the color - everything about it attracted my eye.

Then I read its simple description: A beautiful face illuminator with a soft rose gold shimmer perfect for highlighting. Did someone say rose gold? I ordered mine from Sephora, where a Friends & Family sale is still underway. Not only did I find a beauty, I saved money!

Here's a photo of the illuminator taken in full sun. It does appear a little more rose in person than it appears in the photo at Sephora (shown above) - maybe more rosy than it looks to my eye indoors. I would love either color; it was a fabulous purchase.

Love at first sight turned into love at first application. For the swatch photos, I applied it heavily, first at the top of my arm with a sponge-tipped applicator and then with a dense blush brush. I took my photos in full, late-afternoon sun.

Look at the gorgeous rose-bronze shade! Could this face illuminator be any prettier?

This unique formula has high pearl levels and provides buildable long-wearing color with an exceptionally smooth application. The powder is so creamy, it feels like cream. Even a harsh swipe across a rose with a sponge-tipped applicator didn't destroy the pattern or turn my compact into a powdery fluff ball.

I know a few of you were looking for ideas for your Friends & Family spending. Buy this! It will suit every complexion, adding the perfect glow wherever you want to shine. It adds sheen, not a glitter fest. The sheen could not be more perfect. How's that for an endorsement?

I have not seen the Face Illuminator at Neiman Marcus. I did find it at Laura Mercier's Web site, and, as I mentioned above, at Sephora online.

Photo at top courtesy of Sephora; other photos by Best Things in Beauty

22 comments:

Suselew said...

Do you happen to have the Estee Lauder Gelee Illuminator to compare this to?

Jacqueline said...

I've been on a highlighter kick lately, this is so pretty. The rose gold description tempts me. Thanks for the beautiful swatch.

Leticia said...

This is quite lovely, but I think too shimmery for me.

Eileen said...

Actually, I saw a picture of this in an article at British Beauty Blogger this morning and thought, "Ah-ha! Another gorgeous highlighter for Charestongirl!" :-) It is a real beauty, isn't it? From one rose gold fan to another, great swatches--very enticing.

The article I was reading at BBB is about brands copying each other's work. Guerlain has a spring blush with the same sculpted rose. Hmmmm . . . Anyway, it is an interesting article.

Joey said...

Oh goodness, this is STUNNING!

Rads said...

Would this look just as good on darker skin? I wanted to pick this up from Sephora but wasn't very sure :(

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Suselew!

I can try to get a comparison photo for you when the sun comes out again. According to our weather guy, that might be later tomorrow.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Jacqueline, thanks. I really adore this one!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Leticia,

It's not shimmery as much as it's glowing. You might be surprised. A light touch is gorgeous.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Eileen,

I did go read it. Discounting true knock-offs, I'm not sure the brands actually copy each other (UNLESS they have the same corporate owner, in which case I know it happens). Given the amount of time it takes to develop and produce a high-end product, they would prefer to differentiate themselves.

The similarity between this rose highlighter and Guerlain's gardenia compact for spring? It certainly raises questions - to me, more about individual wrong-doing than corporate idea theft. Or they both found the same artist for a conceptual flower.

Anyhow, she's right about Pantone. Pantone tells many industries (from fashion and beauty to home furnishings) what the "colors of the season" will be, and their predictions shape what we consumers eventually see. I was amazed years ago when I read about the whole "science of color" and how much those predictions affect the industries we love. All the colors for spring? We will see them from many makeup companies. It's no coincidence.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Joey, this compact is a must-have. When will you be buying yours? :)

Charlestongirl said...

I do, Rads. I think this color will work on any skin tone, from my pale face to very dark skin.

Sophia1105 said...

Wow, that's lovely! I was curious about this one but highlighters can go very wrong on my skin. I will have to check this one out in person to really decide. I did end up going with her Luxe Portfolio during the sale. I'm very excited to try it. Thanks for the beautiful pictures and review!

Soni said...

Yay!!! I bought this (Sephora F&F) on Monday...and can't WAIT to get it. Your swatch pics are BEEE-YOO-TIFUL!!
Thank you!!!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Sophia, definitely take a look at it! I love it and think many others will too. Could you be one of them?

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Soni, hope your box comes soon. I was very excited when mine did. :)

Anonymous said...

NEED THIS. :) So gorgeous!

Evelyn said...

I bought this too and it's so pretty! It does look almost identical to the Estee Gelee on my skin, maybe slightly pinker. In any case it has flowers on it and that's a good enough reason for me to have it too. :)

JoanneP said...

I got this from Sephora FF sale too! It's gorgeous, especially I love anything rose or rosy or rose gold!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Tracy!

You DO need this. It's a stunner. :)

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Evelyn and Joanne!

Glad you also bought it. It's one of these see-it-and-you'll-want-it items.

Anonymous said...

1This looks soo beautiful! Can you do a side by side comparison of this with the Estee Lauder Pure color illuminting gelee?