Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Dolce & Gabbana Passion Duo Gloss Fusion Lipstick

I really didn't want to fall in love with a new lipstick - much less one from a line that I can't buy in the DC area or one that's just a little pricey. I did fall in love, though, the moment my Saks Fifth Avenue order arrived with four of Dolce & Gabbana's new Passion Duo Gloss Fusion Lipsticks ($34).

The description online read like marketing hype on steroids. Thrilling? Explosions? Mercy!

A collision of rich cream color and satin gloss in a thrilling encounter of impeccable contrast, in a way that no one else has done before. Resplendent with contrasting texture, it offers a layer of rich, creamy lip color elevated by a playful burst of gloss. Luxuriant cream bullet and smooth gloss prove the ultimate partners in crime; a collision of two powerful forces in an explosion of vibrancy and excellence.

I was intrigued with the design because I like Estée Lauder's Pure Color Sensuous Rouge LipColors very much. When I had seen in WWD that Dolce & Gabbana would be launching a lipstick with a similar concept, I felt the lure. Take two elements I value - color combined with magnificent, hydrating shine - and combine them into one lip color. It's genius. There was no question. I had to try Passion Duo Gloss Fusion Lipstick.

I agonized over the colors I would order. Never having seen these lipsticks in person, and with little familiarity with Dolce & Gabbana's makeup, I found myself facing 20 shade options online. I love having options, but those little rectangles aren't the most helpful for determining the actual "live and in-person" shades. So, I relied on my instincts and selected two, then three, and finally cut myself off at four. I fully expected that one might be a "throw away," given my method of selection. I was OK with that. The throw-away makeup I've purchased always makes someone else very happy.

When they arrived, I unwrapped them eagerly and popped one shade out of the box at random and applied it. Wow! My heart started racing. I couldn't believe how gorgeous it was. I couldn't help myself, I just had to try it. That's why you might see a little nick in one shade below. Before I could take a photograph, I had already messed up one of my new lipsticks a tiny bit.

In the photo directly above, the shades are, left to right, Rose (04), Darling (10), Sensation (20), and Devotion (220). I think all four shades I ordered are drop-dead stunning, and now I'm close to buying more. I may be fickle, but I've got a new love.

I swatched in numeric order, with Rose at the top of my arm, followed by Darling, Sensation, and Devotion. My photos were taken in full sun. I applied each shade relatively heavily (3-4 swipes). I tried to get two angles against the sun.

Rose is just that - rose at its prettiest. Darling is peach, with a very slight hint of pink. Sensation is a warm pink - one of those instant-attraction shades. Devotion offers more intensity than the other three and is a rose-brown-plum hybrid. I think these colors will look great on everyone. I'd describe the finish as semi-sheer (or semi-opaque), with a gorgeous gleam. Passion Duo Gloss Fusion Lipsticks are not easy to categorize.

I love the slender, fashionable, gold cases. The Passion Duo Gloss Fusion Lipsticks feel hydrating on my lips and offer an impressive length of wear. They do have a very slight fragrance - almost too slight to mention - and no taste. I'll admit there are at least four more in my future. Once I fall in love, I fall hard.

You can purchase Dolce & Gabbana color, brushes, and fragrance at Saks Fifth Avenue (online and select stores) or at Dolce & Gabbana's Web site. For a store locator, click here.

Photo at top courtesy of Saks Fifth Avenue; other photos by Best Things in Beauty

10 comments:

Flyavsted said...

They look like they are glowing - sort of. I think I have to get my hands on a couple of these. You're not doing any good for my wallet, lady! ;)

Charlestongirl said...

Do you have a source there, Flyavsted? They do glow/gleam with a pretty shine that's not over the top. I didn't do my own wallet any good. Now, I'm headed off for more.

CGstrein said...

Shhh, please don't tell anyone but I have been "cheating" on Le Metier de Beaute ever since I discovered D&G in the Bal Harbour Saks this summer. This brand is hard NOT to love. The more I use it the more I want it. It is just so luxurious!
I know you can order on-line but Maygan at the Saks D&G counter in Bal Harbour is fantastic and takes great care of her telephone customers (which can be hazardous to wallets!).

Charlestongirl said...

On my, CGStrein, I kind of wish you hadn't told me that. The problem for me is that she probably can't waive the shipping.

If there's such a thing as cheating, I'm in big trouble!

CGstrein said...

Hmm, I never pay shipping at Saks but I guess that is because I am a SaksFirst member and I use my Saks card? I thought they used to waive shipping if it wasn't available at a local store which this brand is not. You could ask. She is known to have gifts with purchase that aren't available on-line.

Giovanni_Rocco said...

I love D&G cosmetics is a shame that they only seal them in the BIG cities :( Can't wait to go back to LA and buy more D&G products

Charlestongirl said...

Hi CGstrein,

I can check. I know if my own Saks SA orders it, the shipping can be waived, but I'm not sure the SA at the store selling it can waive the shipping.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Giovanny,

It's probably been better for my wallet that there are no DC sources. I used to think DC was a "big city." Then I remember all the shops and lines we don't have.

time4beauty said...

Does this inner part of the lipstick give some lip care (like lip balm) or it's just for glossy effect?

Charlestongirl said...

Yes, time4beauty, it's very creamy, and the core is supposed to be that way. The overall feel of the lipstick is extremely moist. Naturally, it's hard to mentally separate the two "layers" when you apply it.