Sunday, October 2, 2011

Weekend Stroll around the Internet

I worship at the altar of Giorgio Armani. I think his designs are original, stunning, elegant, graceful...just insert any superlative you can imagine. The man is a fashion and beauty genius. On the Spring 2012 Ready to Wear runway in Milan, he showed split trousers, a jazzy way to glam up (and lighten up) an ensemble for warmer weather. I simply hope the lovely top of this look is delivered to stores with lining. Even if it's not, I could find a discreet way to line the top.

At least Armani's transparent designs offer a masterful elegance. In contrast, look at this silly Emilio Pucci design by Peter Dundas. While most of the spring collection shown in Milan had a colorful gypsy theme, this white number should have earned his show an R rating He wasn't alone in his fascination with nudity. Check out the Dior Paris runway below, courtesy of designer Bill Gaytten. Designer after designer (all men from what I've seen) sent models down the spring show runways exposed.

The nude look, so popular with male designers, doesn't mesh with the reality of the way women dress or the reality of a world recession (or depression, depending on the definition). Every time I see a "fashion statement" like this, I think, "In your dreams." It will be a happy day when designers return to the reality that most of us live. Fashion may be about art and inspiration, but nothing about these exposed designs inspires me. Not only that, if I were an owner of one of the leading fashion houses, I would want to see creations so exquisite they entice retailers to order and women to spend - even in a time of scarce money. Nothing about these nonsensical looks is enticing to women. End of rant.

On a happier note, I read a couple of blog features this week that inspired me to open my wallet or validated my impressions. I haven't ordered anything yet, but the weekend is young.

Daly Beauty fascinated me with her feature on powdery perfumes - from baby powder to face powder, the comforting scent is clean and fresh.

I'm enjoying The Non-Blonde's Paris features. She's slowing revealing the fragranced narrative of her trip.

We don't hear enough about Trish McEvoy these days. Fab over Forty remedied that. I tried to buy a lipstick last week from her latest display. Sold out!

Olfactoria's Travels expressed my opinion of Acqua Di Parma Gelsomino Nobile perfectly. It's a fragrance I should have loved. After the first few minutes on my skin, I decided I didn't need it. It's nice to read an expert's opinion.

I still haven't purchased Exude. Fruity Lashes reminded me I must try the new lip colors.

Delicate Hummingbird featured a M·A·C blusher I might actually buy! Since it's permanent, I don't have to worry that it's a two-week wonder, already unavailable.

I was captured by Prada Candy, which I've featured. Eyeliner on a Cat described it perfectly. I need a full bottle.

Beauty Black Book is a great place to see the NARS Holiday Collection.

Product Doctor compiled her favorites from September. She selected some great products!

There were more great blog features this week. Make sure to click on the blog links on my sidebar to visit.

Photos courtesy of WWD and Getty

8 comments:

lovethescents said...

You need a FB of Prada Candy? Fabulous! Isn't it amazing how your tastes have evolved over the past couple of months? Love it :-)

Major bonus: how uplifting is that bottle? You can't be in a bad mood looking at that bottle!

Cheryl G. said...

Ooooh. I think I need to revisit Trish McEvoy. I had a way too young SA do a mini makeover at Nordstrom with, shall we say "inappropriate" results. Failure to listen to the customer equaled failure to buy. The products are lovely though. Want!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the link, Charlestongirl! I'm glad we share the opinion about Geslomino Nobile. :(
I like Prada Candy a lot too and am contemplating a full bottle.
Have a great Sunday!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Lovethescents, you know Candy is a floral! Not that far astray. [wink]

Yes, the bottle is adorable, once you get over the cute factor.

Charlestongirl said...

Cheryl, often those SAs have had little training in makeup artistry. Too bad because Trish makes a great line.

I'm still wanting the Blackberry sheer lipstick I saw. I hope Kathy ordered one for me.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Olfactoria!

Isn't it sad? I had such HIGH expectations for the Geslomino Nobile. I adore jasmine. I sprayed, swooned, and then waited. The swoon turned into a limp recognition that the fragrance was unremarkable. I'll leave it at that. Several beauty bloggers raved over it, but I'm not sure why.

Candy seems to be taking the world by storm. It's a fun fragrance. If only I didn't crave Fran's grey salt dark chocolate caramels when I apply it!

Style de Nude said...

Thanks so much for the link!!!!

Charlestongirl said...

You're welcome! Fun feature. :)